Alliance for Financial Incentives (2019 – 2021)
Delta Plan on Spatial Adaptation
The ‘Alliance for Financial Incentives for Climate Adaptation’ was established up in 2019 as part of the Delta Plan on Spatial Adaptation, so that municipalities and water authorities would be able to learn from pilots in which financial incentives are developed and applied. In 2019, four pilots received a financial contribution to work on the following topics:
- Son en Breugel: differentiation of sewerage levies
- Rotterdam: partnering with institutional stakeholders on climate-proof construction and renovation projects
- Rucphen: grants and communication to encourage residents to filter rainwater on their own land
- Dordrecht: financial incentives for industrial buildings
In April 2020, three new pilots were launched:
- Amsterdam-West: tile removal services combined with a maximal degree of sealing the soil
- Nissewaard: testing of different communication strategies towards homeowners
- Noord-Veluwe: stimulating residents with a mix of communication, facilitation, finance and law.
Furthermore, the municipality of Enschede has been working on green sewerage levies.
Within the Alliance, participating municipalities and water boards shared experiences and knowledge in three working groups. The working groups focused on
(1) Effectiveness and behaviour,
(2) Monitoring and testing
(3) Decision support.
Together with Stroom en Onderstroom, NextGreen took care of the general process management of the Alliance and facilitated the Decision Support working group.
- Municipalities: Amsterdam, Delft, Dordrecht, Enschede, Harderwijk, Nissewaard, Rotterdam, Rucphen, Son en Breugel
- Water authorities: Aa en Maas, de Dommel, Hoogheemraadschap Delfland
- Support of pilots and working groups: Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management, Rijkswaterstaat, Bureau Binnentuinen, Behavioural Insights, Inspire to Act
- Developing and applying financial incentives for climate adaptation
- Share experiences and consolidate insights based on pilots
Role and activities NextGreen
Process management | Facilitating learning process of the pilots
In collaboration with Stroom en Onderstroom
Results and more…
- Decision support ‘Beleidsmixer’ (‘Policy mixer‘, in Dutch)
- Pilots and reports from the partner meetings on the webportal Klimaatadaptatie Nederland